Seasons of the Moon

Volume 11 Issue 1
Samhain 2013

Seasons of the Moon is a quarterly online magazine published by students and members of The Order of The White Moon, an eclectic international order of women dedicated to The Goddess. The Order provides personal empowerment and priestess training, and operates local groups. All contributions are original material submitted by our students and members. (We do not accept outside contributions.) Please direct comments and questions to the Ezine Editor.

Seasons Of The Moon Editor and Council:
Ajna DreamsAwake
Kerritwyn Ceannaire, Moonwater Chalcedony Ashwood , Sea Dragon, Etain Feohwynn, Mystic Amazon, Maeve Cliodhna MoonBird

Samhain 2013

Contents

Ritual Work

Samhain Ritual

SET UP ALTAR: [list needed items]

Chime candles: yellow, red, blue, green, white, silver

Intent candles: Black, orange and white [I use tea light candles]

Crystal skull, stone spider, jack-o-lantern, other symbols of the season for on altar

Bread on plate

Natural bowl [wooden, shell]

Apple cider or mulled wine in chalice

Athame

Sage Oil

Sage Smudge

Mugwort for incense

Censer, charcoal, forceps and lighter

Gemstones for on altar: All black stones, jet, obsidian

Altar Cloth: Black, orange & white

LIGHT CHARCOAL AND PUT ON CENSER [easy way to do this is to hold charcoal with a forceps]

ANOINT CANDLES WITH SAGE OIL

PURIFY SPACE WITH SAGE SMUDGE

LIGHT MUGWORT INCENSE

GROUND AND CENTER, HOWEVER YOU ARE USED TO DOING THIS

CAST CIRCLE WITH ATHAME - Walk the circle deosil [clockwise] three times, stating:

In perfect love and perfect trust

I conjure thee O Circle of Power

Let no evil enter here

In this magick hour!

Now I stand between the worlds,

By the power of three times three

The Circle is cast, the circle is cast,

As I will, so mote it be!

CALL QUARTERS - light each quarter chime candle in turn [yellow, red, blue, green]

Hail the Guardians of the Watchtower of the East!

I greet you with Joy and Humility.

Spirits of Air, empower my Words in Circle.

Power of Beginnings, Power of Dawn!

Intuition, Knowledge and Wisdom!

Springtime Blessings, and Early Dawn!

Be with me as I Circle.

Hail the Guardians of the Watchtower of the South!

Spirits of Fire, empower my Actions in Circle.

Power of Passion, Power of Life Force!

Energy, Heat and Flame!

Summertime Blessings, and Middle of Day!

Be with me as I Circle.

Hail the Guardians of the Watchtowers of the West!

Spirits of Water, empower my Emotions in Circle.

Power of Feeling, Power of Flowing Rivers!

Emotions, Love and Courage!

Autumntime Blessings, and Eventide!

Be with me as I Circle.

Hail the Guardians of the Watchtower of the North!

Spirits of Earth, empower my Body in Circle.

Power of Strength, Power of the Fertile Soil!

Stability, Structure and Growth!

Wintertime Blessings, and Middle of Night!

Be with me as I Circle.

CALL SPIRIT - light Spirit [white] chime candle

Hail Spirit, the Guardian of the Watchtower within!

Spirit of Spirit, empower my Mind and Heart in Circle.

Power of Thought, and Feeling, and Being!

Essence of Who I Am!

Otherworld Blessings, and Time out of Time!

Be with me as I Circle.

CALL GODDESS - light Goddess [silver] chime candle

Goddess of All, I call upon you this night in your Maiden aspect,

Full of youth and vitality.

Moon Goddess, I call upon you this night in your Mother aspect

Heavy with child, and full of love.

Earth Goddess, I call upon you this night in your Crone aspect,

Full of wisdom and knowledge.

I call upon you to join me in Circle this night.

GIVE THANKS

Great Mother Goddess!

I, [state your name], Your child, give thanks to You.

Thank You for the Air, thank You for the Fire,

Thank You for the Water, thank You for the Earth!

Thank You for all good things that are mine -

Blessed Be!

INTENT

My intent this night is to observe the

High Holy Day of Samhain [pronounced SOW-en].

Blessed be.

BODY OF RITUAL

Light the black tea light.

The winter half of the year commences on Samhain. The veil is thinnest at this time. It is a magical interval when the mundane laws of time and space are temporarily suspended, and the Thin Veil between the worlds is lifted. The Light is now short, yet the harvest is great, and the light will rekindle again, the Cycle begins anew in Nature.

Light orange tea light.

Communicating with ancestors and departed loved ones is easy at this time, for they journey through this world on their way to the Summerlands. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother symbolized by the Crone. I call [name ancestors and those who have passed through the veil] to my rite and ask you to grace my circle with your presence.

Light white tea light.

Pick up the bread and tear off a small piece, dipping it into the drink.

I offer this candle to light your path. I offer this sustenance to those who have passed before me, this bread of the earth and air, and this drink of the water and fire. With the union of the two, they become whole and I offer it to my ancestors.

Place piece of bread in natural bowl. Lift up the bread and take one more piece, dipping it into the drink

I offer more of the food that sustains me as a libation to the Goddess, soaking up some drink to quench the thirst of the parched. Thank you for coming to me, sharing in your wisdom and guidance.

Place piece of bread in natural bowl.

CAKES AND ALE

Now it is time to give thanks to the Lady for that which sustains me. I thank you Goddess for giving me all good things that make life possible.

Goddess bless me and bless these cakes.

Take a piece of bread and eat.

Goddess bless me and bless this ale.

Take the chalice and drink.

Blessed be!

THANK AND RELEASE ANCESTORS

Thank you my ancestors, I thank you for your presence.

Go in peace. I bid you Farewell until we meet again.

THANK AND RELEASE GODDESS

Thank you Great Goddess, I give You all praise and thanks! Go if You must, stay if You will, You are always welcome here!

Extinguish Goddess candle

RELEASE SPIRIT AND THE QUARTERS

Spirit, Guardian of the Watchtower within!

I thank you for your presence.

Guardians of the Watchtower of the East!

Guardians of the Watchtower of the South!

Guardians of the Watchtower of the West!

Guardians of the Watchtower of the North!

Extinguish chime candles in turn

TAKE UP CIRCLE - Walk the circle widdershins [counter-clockwise] one time, stating:

The circle is open, but unbroken,

I go with the Peace of the

Goddess in my heart,

Merry meet, and merry part.

And merry meet again.

Blessed be.

So mote it be!

An' it harm none, this ritual is done.

DON'T FORGET TO GROUND - VERY IMPORTANT!!!

ALLOW INTENT CANDLES TO BURN OUT SAFELY

PLACE THE NATURAL BOWL WITH FOOD OUTSIDE FOR THE ANCESTORS

© Peace Whitehorse

Peace Whitehorse is a graduate of The Sacred Three Goddess School and a High Priestess in the Order of the White Moon. She lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and her Shetland sheepdogs, and is active in Sheltie Rescue.

Back to top.

A Tarot Reading for Samhain and the Season of Death

Reading done with The Golden Tarot, by Kat Black.

Samhain, Oct. 31st --> Sat., Nov. 2nd
King of Cups

Your spirit is full of benevolence and love. Those who spend time with you are blessed, as you will give good counsel, based on your intuitive insight, gentleness and creativity. Your feminine and masculine energies will be in balance, so you will feel no need to manipulate any particular outcome. Spiritual outcome will be your most important goal.

The New Moon, Nov. 3rd --> gt; Nov. 9th
Four of Wands

You are right where you want to be, and your home life is full of bliss and contentment. Harmony reigns, in your family, and friends and neighbors are loyal and admiring. Your hard work has been rewarded, and you are reaping a bountiful harvest.

Nov. 10th --> gt; Nov. 16th
Eight of Swords

This is a time of great uncertainty and the threat of dread looming, as some of your hopes are unrealized, and you become worried about illness or trouble ahead. Reach within to transform fear into power, so that you may marshal courage and strength in the days ahead.

The Full Moon, Nov. 17th --> gt; Nov. 23rd
Ace of Coins

Good tidings are yours, as you find yourself entering a time of prosperity and material gain. You may find yourself the recipient of a sudden windfall, get a promotion at work, or get a new job that increases your salary. This is a time of contentment and achievement! Your happiness will be present in both the material and the spiritual planes.

Nov. 24th --> Nov. 30th (Thanksgiving, U.S., Nov. 28th)
VII, The Chariot

You are the leader of a team, but keep in mind that others will only follow you if they agree with your goals and objectives. You will need to harness the pragmatic skills of collaboration and compromise. You will achieve success if you work *with* others, rather than in defiance of them. If you're having problems, take a look at whether you are trying to change the behavior of others. You're more likely to succeed if you modify your own behavior.

Dec. 1st --> Dec. 7th (New Moon Dec. 2nd)
Seven of Coins

This is a time in which you will reap what you have sown. It is a time of comfort, as you have realized your material goals, and your hard work has been rewarded. It's time to enjoy what you have! Good news may also come to you, and you may be inclined to do something wonderful for a good friend.

Dec. 8th --> Dec. 14th
XV, The Devil

We cannot move forward unless we can unearth, acknowledge and face our fears, a difficult spiritual task which may span years of our lives, and we work against denial, and resistance to reality. It's the only way to move forward, and we need to try with as much energy as we can bring to the work. Expect to only be able to go so far, where you are today, but keep working at it, when you have the energy and courage. You have been through much, as surmounted still more, and over time you will see that you DO have the strength to survive, and even THRIVE!

Dec. 15th --> Dec. 21st, Yule, Winter Solstice
Knight of Swords

Energy and enthusiasm course through you, and you just *know* you can do anything you want to do! You are full of determination, and ready to take action, and get things done. You have it in you to be a heroine, brave and courageous, and your instinct is to act with integrity and righteousness. Beware the temptation to let anger surge; seek triumph without losing focus.

HP Kerritwyn Ceannaire is the President of the Board of Directors and the Head of the Order. She teaches White Moon lessons to women in The Sacred Three Goddess School, and to male-to-female transgendered seekers in the Rainbow Moon School.

Back to top.

Putuoshan Island, China

Putuoshan Island, in the East China Sea, is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in the People's Republic of China. The entire island is sacred to the Goddess Guan Yin. The name Putuoshan is Mandarin for "Beautiful White Flower".

Buddhism has been the dominant religion in China for almost 2000 years and Putuoshan itself was once referred to as the First Buddhist Kingdom in Zhendan (Buddhist term for China). Legend states that during the 9th century, a Japanese monk, traveling with a statue of Guan Yin, was caught in a storm. The Goddess appeared to him, guiding him safely to the shores of the island. As thanks, he erected a temple in Her honour.

Mount Pu Tuo is one of four sacred mountains in Buddhism. In Chinese mythology, the Goddess Nu Kan, a pre-Buddhist version of Guan Yin, used the feet of a giant turtle as pillars to keep the heavens from falling to earth. The mountains represent the four directions, with Mount Pu Tuo in the East, oriented to the Goddess.

Guanyin of the South Sea (Nan Hai Guanyin), is usually depicted standing on a rock, crossing the sea on a lotus, or riding a dragon or fish. She holds a vase containing the nectar of immortality, willow branches or lotus blossoms. She is accompanied by a white parrot, a symbol of the transition between life and death. It is believed the Goddess places the bodies of the deceased upon a lotus blossom for their journey into the afterlife.

In 1998, a statue of Nan Hai Guan Yin was erected on the shores Putuoshan. She looks out to sea, offering protection for fishermen and welcoming them safely home. The base of the statue houses two levels of chambers, including the Hall of 500 Guan Yin statues, each unique, offering a different aspect of the Goddess. The walls are adorned with intricate murals made with bronze, dark wood, and even colored jade, which illustrate scenes from the history of Putuoshan.

Nearby, is the Cave of Tidal Sounds, where Guanyin is said to have appeared to visitors through the ages. Puji Temple, the largest and most important temple on the island is the main area of worship. Situated in front of the temple is Haiyin Pool, where the faithful set turtles free as an offering to the Goddess.

Putuoshan is home to three large temples and numerous smaller ones, all devoted to the Goddess Guan Yin. In Buddhist literature, Guanyin was born on February 19th of the lunar calendar, achieved enlightenment on June 19th and achieved nirvana on September 19th. On these dates, pilgrims congregate at Putuoshan to pay homage to the Goddess. Putuoshan rose to prominence as a Buddhist holy place, with as many as 88 Buddhist monasteries. Today, one third of the population are nuns and monks and the area remains a place of pilgrimage.

http://www.billirwinphotography.com/putuoshan.htm

http://www.putuoshan.net/English/Seeings/guanyin2.php

© Ajna DreamsAwake

Ajna DreamsAwake is an Adept of The Sacred Three Goddess School. She is an eclectic Pagan, rediscovering Her Visionary Goddess Gifts.

Back to top.

White Moon Happenings

Sisters Beneath the Whispering Willows, led by High Priestess Lady Zephyr and High Priestess Moonwater Ashwood, are delighted to report that their student, Obsidian, has completed Level 1, and become an Initiate of the Order of the White Moon! Please enjoy her beautiful project on Hekate.

In addition, The Sacred Three Goddess School, headed by High Priestess Kerritwyn Ceannaire, is thrilled to report that her student, RoseAngela RiverSong, has completed Level I, and has become an Initiate of the Order of the White Moon! Please revel in her marvelous project celebrating the shining Freyja.

The Sisters of the Rising Moon, led by High Priestess Ka Wahine Ahi and High Priestess Mystic Amazon, are also delighted to report that their student, Ahes, is progressing well through Level IV, our teaching Level for future Ordination and elevation to High Priestess. Check out Ahes' wonderful Level III Final Project on Dahud Ahes. We on the High Priestess Council are very much enjoying Ahes' work in Level IV!

If you would like to learn more about the Order of the White Moon, the schools which offer White Moon Studies, or take a look at our wonderful Goddess Gallery, we would be delighted!
Blessings to you on your Path, wherever it takes you.....!!

HP Kerritwyn Ceannaire is the President of the Board of Directors and the Head of the Order. She teaches White Moon lessons to women in The Sacred Three Goddess School, and to male-to-female transgendered seekers in the Rainbow Moon School.

Back to top.

The Bardic Soul: Poetry and Song for the Spirit

The Thinning of the Veil

Samhain approaches

And my head swims

As the Veil between

Worlds thins, drops

Once again

The air is crisp

The fallen leaves

Crunch under foot

And the trees whisper

Of things past and

Things yet to come.

Dew drops freeze

On dormant branches

Becoming silvery

Globes of ice

And the odd snowflake

Flutters down to the

Saturated ground.

In the pre-dawn

And the twilight

Hours, it's becoming

Easier and easier

To catch glimpses

Of spirits wandering

The lonely roads.

The Veil is almost

Down now, and

Magick is in the air!

© Moonwater Chalcedony Ashwood, October 27 2013

Autumnal Kisses

Walking in the crisp

Pre-dawn air

I feel Her gentle touch

Everywhere

Around me,

Guiding me

Letting me know

What I should see.

A fallen leaf here

A Fall flower there

A cardinal heralding

Dawn's amber stare.

Love is Her breath

Empowerment Her body

And all around Autumnal

Kisses flicker over me

Cooling my skin

Making me smile

Helping me walk

The many miles.

© Moonwater Chalcedony Ashwood, August 22, 2011

Holy Times

Holy times

Sacred times

Quiet times

By my altar

Candles flicker

Drums softly beat

Crystals glimmer

As my eyes

Softly close.

Goddess hear me

As I call out to you

On this sabbat night;

Bring serenity to my

Troubled life.

Holy times

Sacred times

Quiet times

My prayers continue

As the candles

Flicker out.

Blessed be

Dear Mother.

© Moonwater Chalcedony Ashwood, March 31 2012

Moonwater Chalcedony Ashwood is a High Priestess, Ordained Minister and co-founder of the Sisters Beneath the Whispering Willows school. She lives surrounded by the beauty of Central Ontario, Canada with her husband. She has a BA in Honors History. She is a Reiki Master, writer, and family historian. Originally initiated into Celtic Wicca, she now practices Eclectic Wicca, leaning strongly towards the Goddess in Her various aspects.

The Shadow Lover

The darkness gently slips in,

As the day wanes away;

Slipping in like an uninvited stranger,

Changing everything that was bright.

Now it is another world, one with

Glittering stars and darkening clouds,

And shadows that move and murmur

In the darkness.

Another night that I wait for you,

Wait until I embrace the darkness;

Feeling the comfort of a dream lover.

He always comes when I whisper,

Breathing magicks into the darkness.

He has your face and body;

Slips in through my window quietly,

And laughs in my embrace.

Soon it will not matter;

I will wait for you no longer.

I will fly with your shadow self

Into a more exciting world,

And I will not come back.

When you come to find me,

You will find only a tousled bed;

And the sound of my laughter

In a darkened room.

© Copyright 11/10/05
Beth Clare Johnson (Mystic Amazon)

Candles in the Dark

She was so afraid of the dark!

When her husband was on a trip,

She would look under the bed

And in the closets.

She was afraid for her hand to fall

Out from the covers,

For fear a panther or tiger

Would bite it right off.

When she was little she was braver

And would go sit in the closet

And talk to the monsters

To make friends of them.

Sometimes she saw ghosts travel

Across the ceiling and walls

And would hear them call her.

She didn't know what was worse,

The ghosts that could come in,

Or the ones that were already in.

Her fears created more and more

Monsters in the house.

Her fears were getting worse

And she was afraid to leave the house

Because the ghosts would come too.

She couldn't leave them.

One night she had enough.

She put on her prettiest floaty gown,

And lit white candles.

Then she meditated for awhile,

And then she prayed,

Pouring out her heart and soul

And everything she was scared of

And worried about.

She felt a sense of serenity,

And that she was in a safe place.

When she would get afraid,

She would come back,

Come back to that space,

Lighting her candles

And speaking prayers

From her heart and her spirit.

Then she was able to let

The monsters go and dissolve;

And whenever fears started,

She knew what she needed to do.

© Copyright 09/30/05
Beth Clare Johnson (Mystic Amazon)

Mystic Amazon has studied Reiki with Diane Stein and has also done Shamanic training. She is a High Priestess of the Order of the White Moon and an Ordained Minister, currently co-teaching with HP Ka Wahine Ahi at Sisters of the Rising Moon school. Divorced with two children, she now lives in Mississippi. Her hobbies include writing, folk art, folk magick, Reiki, and reading.

Back to top.

The articles featured in Seasons of the Moon are written and/or submitted by members of the Order of the White Moon and are their own intellectual property. Please feel free to share this publication but do give credit where credit is due and link back to the source.

Thank you for reading, we hope that you have enjoyed it just as much as we have enjoyed presenting it to you.

Many blessings to you and yours,
Seasons of The Moon Staff

Get Seasons of the Moon via email! Join the Seasons of the Moon group.

Seasons of the Moon Home