Seasons of the Moon

Volume 12 Issue 2
Imbolc 2015

Seasons of the Moon is a quarterly online magazine published by students and members of The Order of The White Moon, an eclectic international order of women dedicated to The Goddess. The Order provides personal empowerment and priestess training, and operates local groups. All contributions are original material submitted by our students and members. (We do not accept outside contributions.) Please direct comments and questions to the Ezine Editor.

Seasons Of The Moon Editor and Council:
Ajna DreamsAwake
Kerritwyn Ceannaire, Moonwater Chalcedony Ashwood , Sea Dragon, Etain Feohwynn, Mystic Amazon, Maeve Cliodhna MoonBird

Imbolc 2015

Contents

Ritual Work

Celebration of Kore, Goddess of Spring

You will need:

A place either inside or outside for a small Circle
Flowers for a head garland (this can be silk flowers or other kinds)*
Cymbals, rattles, mariachis, some sort of noise makers
Seeds to be blessed and planted later
Incense, if inside

*Make flower leis for your head. Either with real flowers, silk flowers, or flowers made from poster paper, colored and glittered and glued onto ribbons to tie into circlets or headbands.

Smudge the area beforehand. When you are ready, first cast the Circle.

Then stand in a circle, making noises to call to the Goddess of Spring to come up from the Underworld. The youngest woman may wish to represent Kore for the ritual.

Here is a chant to say after making the noise to call to her:

Kore Invocation

Hail Kore! We welcome you,
Strewing flowers across your path,
Seeing each petal take root
And grow again as you pass by.

Hail, Daughter of Demeter!
We thank you for leaving your dark throne
So that the seedlings will sprout
And young animals be born.

You have left the cares of the Underworld
To bring us sunlight and soft rains.
Now fairies once again flutter their wings,
And dance with elves in the meadow.

The grass is now like green velvet
And branches are full of budding flowers;
Your mother smiles with joy again,
As cold Winter takes his leave.

Hail Kore! We welcome you.
We have brought seeds to you
To bless before their planting,
And hearts to be gladdened with the Spring.

Then put on some music and dance around in the Circle holding hands, visualizing Kore coming up into the center of the circle with flowers in her hair, dancing with you. Visualize her putting her hands on each of your heads in turn, with blessings, and allow joy to come into your hearts.

When you are through, open the Circle.

© Copyright 2/25/08
Beth Clare Johnson
(Mystic Amazon)
Mystic Amazon has studied Reiki with Diane Stein and has also done Shamanic training. She is a High Priestess of the Order of the White Moon and an Ordained Minister, currently co-teaching with HP Ka Wahine Ahi HP Ahes at Sisters of the Rising Moon. Divorced with two children, she now lives in Mississippi. Her hobbies include writing, folk art, folk magick, Reiki, and reading.

Back to top.

Meditation Journey- Inanna's Descent

This is a journey of self-discovery, to face your Dark Self. You have heard the call and go willingly despite your fears.

Begin by looking honestly at the titles you hold, the roles you have taken on, the roles imposed upon you by others, the beliefs you hold about yourself. Visualize each one as a shining jewel or garment.

Dressed in your regalia, you make your way the entrance of a cave to meet the Gatekeeper. The role of the Gatekeeper is to prevent you from going further. But you are determined, despite your fear, to enter the cave. You state your purpose with certainty, “I come to meet my Dark Self”.

The Gatekeeper lets you pass and you proceed into the cavern. It feels cool and comfortable, you breathe in the rich scent of the earth. It is both a tomb, and a womb. You notice that there are steps leading down into a dark abyss.

There are seven levels leading down in the depths. You pause at each level, looking honestly, but without judgment, at the titles you carry within you, the labels others have placed upon you, words you use to describe yourself, the beliefs you hold about yourself, not enough of this, too much of that etc... Honour, and let go of these labels, stripping away more and more of your titles, your beliefs, your jewels, your robes until you arrive, naked, into the realm of Erishkigal. You have reached your destination, the Womb of the Great Mother, the center of your own darkness.

You sit in stillness, an empty vessel waiting to be filled. This is the Underworld, th Void; it is a place of Death and a place of Unleashed Potential. This is the Womb of the Great Mother, a place of Gestation and Rebirth.

Erishkigal approaches and you see that She is you.  You approach in perfect love and perfect trust. The Dark Goddess is fierce, rage-filled.  It is She who has been dismissed, mocked, denied, suppressed and oppressed. She is angry at being shunned, and She is heartbroken that Her light, Her power, the very core of Her being has been repressed for so long.

Together, you and Erishkigal feel what it is like to be told that you are less than, you rage against the Patriarchal system that has taught you to hate yourself. You grieve for the suffering all women have experienced under Patriarchy. You grieve the death of the woman you were, and you grieve for the Dark Self who has finally been heard.

You and the Dark Goddess come together in an embrace. You can feel Her presence within you, bringing the Dark Self into the Light of Consciousness. You and your Dark Self are as one. This is the birth of your new self, an integration of Light and Dark. When you are ready, give thanks and prepare to return to your physical body. You have been reborn, emerging from the Darkness to shine your Light upon the world.

© Ajna DreamsAwake

Ajna DreamsAwake is a High Priestess and founder of Dark Moon’s Heart School. Her personal journey of self-discovery continues as she supports and guides women along their own healing paths.

Back to top.

Ostara Ritual for Children

The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Chocolate Rabbit

you'll need the following:

*A bag of jellybeans
*Marshmallow Peeps: Chicks & Bunnies
*A chocolate rabbit for each participant
*A glass of milk for each participant

1. Let the kids arrange the ritual supplies on your altar --typically the chocolate rabbits end up in the center, surrounded by an army of Peeps and several rings of jellybeans.

2. First, give everyone present a handful of jellybeans. Point out the different colors in the jellybeans, and what they can represent. As you call out each one, eat the jellybeans in that color. Feel free to be a bit goofy. Say something like:

"Behold, little jelly eggs, small symbols of the season,
How we adore you!"

"Green is for the grass that springs from the land!" (eat all the green jellybeans)

"Yellow is for the Sun shining above our heads!" (eat all the yellow jellybeans)

"Red is for the tulips that grow in our garden!" (eat the red jellybeans)

"Pink is for Aunt Martha's new Easter hat!" (eat the pink jellybeans)

"Purple is for the Crocuses that sprout along our driveway!" (eat the purple ones)...

3. Continue this until all the colors are gone -- if you really want to have some fun, make the kids take turns naming off the colors and what they mean to them. When they're all gone, call out:

"Hail! Hail! to the mighty jellybean of Spring!"

4. Next, hand out the marshmallow Peeps. As you do, say:

"Behold the Peep! The Peep is life, brought back in the Spring!"

"Little Peep Chickens, we honor you!" (bite the Peep Chicks)

"Little Peep Bunnies, we honor you!" (bite the Peep Bunnies)...

Continue this until all the Peeps are gone.  When the Peeps have all vanished, call out:

"Hail! Hail! to the mighty Peeps of Spring!"

5. Finally, distribute the chocolate rabbits. Say:

"Behold the great chocolate rabbit!

As he hops through the land, he spreads joy and happiness!"

"O, how we adore the chocolate rabbit and his great big chocolate ears!" (eat the rabbit's ears)

"Praise the chocolate rabbit, and his delicious chocolate tail!" (eat the rabbit's tail)

"Honor this chocolate rabbit, and his chocolate hoppity legs!" (eat the rabbit's legs)

"He is a wonderful rabbit, and he is special indeed!" (eat the rest of the rabbit)

When the rabbits are all gone, say:

"Hail! Hail! to the mighty chocolate rabbit of Spring!"

6. Give everyone a glass of milk, and raise your drinks in a toast to these three symbols of the season.

"To the jellybeans!
To the Peeps!
To the chocolate rabbit!
We drink in your honor!"

Drink your milk, and sit back to enjoy the sensation of being stuffed with ritual candy.

© Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix is a 37 year old mommy of three precious boys and a Priestess in OWM. I have been a healer all my life though I did not know it. While looking for a new school, I discovered OWM. I finally found my home and I am so happy. I am a life-long student of magic and the healing arts. I am currently learning Reiki from our very own HP MoonWater Ashwood. I use Candles and oils with my healing as well as Reiki. I do enjoy kitchen magic and I love Candle magic. I am also learning sea magic and angel magic. 

Back to top.

Goddess Work

Visualizing Your Perfect Sacred Space

The Goddess is everywhere; all space that welcomes and honours Her is inherently sacred. I try to remind myself of that thought as often as possible.

We usually think of sacred space as those areas that are occupied by an altar of our cherished objects and tools. Yet this is not always the case. Take your kitchen, for example.  The hearth has always been associated with the Goddess, used to warm the home and prepare your food, which may be created while saying prayers to Her, or a portion may be set aside for the Goddess as an offering.

Many of us think of a space as being sacred only if it is ritual space, yet any place you cast a circle is sacred and that can be done absolutely anywhere!

What spaces in your life do you see as sacred? Perhaps your living room, filled with the love and laughter of your family. Or maybe it's a corner of your backyard where you sit and watch the birds at the feeders. Is it your bathtub where you purposefully cleanse yourself before ritual, or a garden where you grow herbs for your spells?

I remember when I was just starting on my path with the Goddess, I wanted the perfect sacred space to worship Her within. My husband and I were living in a very small apartment at the time, and I had just begun to come out of the broom closet with him. I sat down in the middle of the bed one day and began to meditate on my ideal space. What did I want it to look like? How did I want it to feel energetically? What scents did I want to permeate the space? Which colours would be present, which tools, symbols, etc?

Using what I had on hand, I then began to manifest my space. I used a cedar-lined, handmade pine chest that my grandparents had decorated with a dragon as my altar, dragon being my Chinese zodiac sign. I carefully arranged candles, crystals, and little symbols until satisfied. It sat in our bedroom, off to one corner, and had such a peaceful energy that my cat would curl up in a ball in the centre of the altar every day.

I've been on this path now for over 20 years. Over those years I've created a lot of different spaces and altars for different purposes. The one I'm focusing on now, however, is for my career. The ideal space to work, create, worship, and grow. I know the first step of this part of my journey will be working from home, so that's what I'm visualizing at the moment. What do I need the space to look like to succeed? How do I need the house to feel energetically? What scents, colours, crystals, etc will aid me? I'm visualizing both the practical aspects and the more spiritual ones. At the same time, I'm visualizing the ideal retail space for myself, which is what I would like in the end.

This visualization process can be done simply with your mind's eye, or you can illustrate it in a journal, on a vision board, etc. Do whatever makes you the most comfortable, and gives you the clearest picture to focus your energy towards. Then, when it's finished and you know it's perfect, let it go! Surrender it to the Goddess, knowing it will come to you when the time is right.

May you manifest your perfect space, and enjoy every part of the journey!

© HP Moonwater Chalcedony Ashwood

Moonwater Chalcedony Ashwood is a High Priestess, Ordained Minister and co-founder of the Sisters Beneath Whispering Willows. She lives surrounded by the beauty of Central Ontario, Canada with her husband. She has a BA in Honors History. She is a Reiki Master, writer, and family historian. Originally initiated into Celtic Wicca, she now practices Eclectic Wicca, leaning strongly towards the Goddess in Her various aspects.

Back to top.

Sacred Sites

Temple of Inanna, Uruk

Look at its wall which gleams like copper,
inspect its inner wall, the likes of which no one can equal!
Take hold of the threshold stone—it dates from ancient times!
Go close to the Eanna Temple, the residence of Ishtar,
such as no later king or man ever equaled!
-Epic of Gilgamesh

Along the Tigris and Euphrates rivers were many shrines and temples dedicated to Inanna, but Her greatest shrine was located in the heart of the ancient city of Uruk.

Uruk is situated in southern Iraq, 250 km south of Baghdad. It is believed to be the oldest city in the world, dating back to at least 3500 BCE. This area is referred to as the Cradle of Civilization, and is the likely birthplace of cuneiform writing. Poetry, astronomy and agriculture flourished in this ancient city. Uruk played an important role in the mythology of the Mesopotamian people. It was the home of the epic hero Gilgamesh, believed to be a king of the city's first dynasty.

The Eanna District at the heart of the city was a walled temple complex, known as Inanna's House of Heaven. The two main temples were the Stone Mosaic Temple and the Limestone Temple. Both were embellished with gold, silver, lapis lazuli and red limestone. The Stone Mosaic Temple was especially striking, adorned with carved pine cones in red, white and black. Pine cones were a symbol of Inanna, representing the Tree of Life.

Terraces surrounded the Temples and may have been the inspiration for the step pyramids known as ziggurats. The temples were created to connect Heaven and Earth. Temples were often referred to as "waiting rooms", where clergy would wait for the deities to descend from the heavens. The Temple complex housed the Priestesses of Inanna. Priestesses engaged in the holy act commonly referred to as "sacred prostitution", a derogatory term created by patriarchy to further diminish the role of women.

The Spring Equinox marked the New Year, and celebrations included a re-enactment of the Hieros Gamos or sacred marriage. The High Priestess would choose a lover to play the role of Dumuzi while she became the earthly incarnation of the Goddess. Eventually, under Patriarchy, the High Priestess would confer legitimacy upon male rulers through the act of Hieros Gamos.
Inanna was one of the most revered goddesses of Mesopotamia. She bestowed civilization upon humankind. She was a Goddess of love, fertility and warfare. Her symbols included an eight-pointed star, representing Venus and the pine cone. The lioness is also associated with Her in Her role as Warrior Goddess and Ruler of Heaven and Earth. Her cuneiform image is a twisted knot of reeds, representing fertility.

Inanna's father, An, eventually replaced Inanna as the primary deity in Mesopotamia as women's rights deteriorated. Inanna remained an important deity even though the role of Her priestesses diminished greatly.

http://arabic-media.com/uruk.html

http://www.fsmitha.com/h1/Inanna.htm

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Places/District/808915

http://klimtlover.wordpress.com/mesopotamia-and-persia/mesopotamia-and-persia-sumerian-art/

https://course.bighistoryproject.com/media/khan/articles/U7_Uruk_2014_780L.pdf

© Ajna DreamsAwake

Ajna DreamsAwake is a High Priestess and founder of Dark Moon’s Heart School. Her personal journey of self-discovery continues as she supports and guides women along their own healing paths.

Back to top.

Happenings in The Order of the White Moon

Our OWM sister students and High Priestesses attained several milestones in this last quarter.

Hecate Olivia completed Level II of Traditional White Moon studies, as was mentioned in the Samhain edition. Please read her very informative Level II Final Project Diana and Her Legacy.

Cherdwyn completed Level II and is now an Adept. You can see her lovely Level II Project on Cerridwen in the Goddess Gallery.

RiverSong completed Level II and is an Adept with OWM. Check out her awesome Level II Final Project on Atargatis.

Kerritwyn is delighted to report that her student Melita Artemis Moon completed Level I of our Order of the White Moon studies to become an Initiate of the Order! Please enjoy her illuminating Level I Final Project on Amaterasu called Amaterasu Illuminating Heaven.

High Priestess Peace Whitehorse opened her new school Peace Grove Circle.

HP Ajna DreamsAwake is very pleased to announce the opening of the newest addition to the OWM family. Dark Moon's Heart School of the Divine Feminine will be offering traditional White Moon teachings in a loving and supportive environment. For more information, visit

http://darkmoonsheart.ca or contact HP Ajna DreamsAwake.

We are, of course, delighted to welcome our new students in Sisters of the Rising Moon, Sacred Three and Beneath Whispering Willows. We are always happy when sisters find their way to OWM!

If you're not an OWM student and you'd like to learn more about the Order of the White Moon, the schools offering Traditional White Moon Studies, or browse the Goddess Gallery, we welcome you to learn about us!

Back to top.

Bardic Soul: Poetry and Song for the Spirit

Poem in Honor of Brighid

Goddess Bright, Goddess Dear
In Your Honor, I am here.

I craft this rhyme
In metered time
To celebrate awakening spring
And the light and warmth that You bring.

© Ka Wahine Ahi

HP Ka Wahine Ahi is the President of the Board of Directors and the Head of the Order. She teaches White Moon lessons to women in the school that she founded,Sisters of the Rising Moon School of the Feminine Divine.

Back to top.

Imbolc Blessings

A blessing upon you for the Imbolc Season.

The feast of the Lactating Sheep is the reason!

The first of three fertility Holy Days,

This is a High Sabbat and a Cross Quarter day.

Falling in between Yule and Ostara,

We are given the promise of a warmer tomorrow!

Cold air blows and snow covers the land,

Yet visions of spring are becoming more grand.

Of things that no longer serve your highest good

Time to release these things into stone or wood.

Brighid is the Goddess of this High Holy Day,

She brings Her fire so She can burn away

All that you need to release and let go.

And brings Her Wisdom so that you may know

What will, on your path, move you ahead.

By the hearthfire is Brighid and Her maiden bed.

The Maiden is honored as the Bride today,

We all give Her praise, each in our own way.

Blessings upon you this Holy Season through,

Brighid and Her wisdom reside within you!

©Peace Whitehorse January 27, 2015

Back to top.

Morning Chat

When I woke up this morning

The Goddess said to me,

“Never doubt you are My child,

And never doubt you Me.

I am around you all the time,

I see the things you do,

Make sure in every action

That you honor Me and you.

I am here in the morning,

In the afternoon, and night.

I never, ever leave your side,

In darkness or in light.

No matter what all you may do,

Throughout the day or week,

Harm none is the only Law,

As peace and love you seek.

Don’t forget the Rule of Three,

As through your life you walk,

Send out goodness every day

In your actions and your talk.”

I pondered on these things She said,

As She told them to me.

I can’t tell you how blessed I felt

As I began to see…

We are here upon this Earth

But a short time in this life,

But while we’re here we need to work

To eliminate all strife.

Each of us is just one person,

But together we are strong.

We must be good to one another

Always, our whole life long.

We must care for the blessed Earth

And all of Nature too,

The animals, the trees and stones,

The water, air and YOU.

Yes, we are part of Nature,

For ourselves we must care,

Spirit, body, soul and mind,

As water and the air.

Don’t you ever dare forget

How important that you be.

She speaks to you in quiet tones

Just as She speaks to me.

Listen for Her sweet, low voice

And hear her wisdom speak,

The voice is there within your heart,

And She is all you seek.

© Peace Whitehorse January 11, 2015

Peace Whitehorse is a graduate of The Sacred Three Goddess School and a High Priestess in the Order of the White Moon.  She lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and her Shetland sheepdogs, and is active in Sheltie Rescue.

The articles featured in Seasons of the Moon are written and/or submitted by members of the Order of the White Moon and are their own intellectual property. Please feel free to share this publication but do give credit where credit is due and link back to the source.

Thank you for reading, we hope that you have enjoyed it just as much as we have enjoyed presenting it to you.

Many blessings to you and yours,
Seasons of The Moon Staff

Get Seasons of the Moon via email! Join the Seasons of the Moon group.

Seasons of the Moon Home